Haiti – Politic : Registration plate compulsory, the DGI offers a temporary solution
The Directorate General of Taxes (DGI) informs the general public, owners and drivers of private vehicles in particular that to alleviate the problem of vehicles traveling without number plates (for lack of plates available), it was decided to put “Rental”, “Passenger Transport” and “Freight Transport” category plates available to them, pending the arrival of the new order for license plates.
Number plates in the above categories are available at DGI collection points and will be allocated according to the following provisions :
– The plates currently available will be assigned to new private vehicles;
– Private vehicles will pay the regular tariffs and fees provided for this purpose;
– A certificate jointly signed by the DGI, the PNH and the OAVCT, authorizing, on a provisional basis, the allocation of these plates, will be issued to the owners of the said vehicles;
– This certificate will be delivered when the vehicle registration card is issued;
– This certificate will serve as a guarantee for the roadside check and the vehicle insurance policy.